When required to probate an estate, you may be tempted to do it yourself. Like any subject, there are videos and articles on the internet showing you how to do it yourself. Yet, like many things, it is not as straightforward as people make out.
Think of it like mending your car. If you buy the manual, you could take out the old clutch and replace it with a new one yourself, but you probably prefer to pay a mechanic instead. These are some of the reasons an experienced Puyallup attorney can make probate easier:
- It removes doubts: If probate is carried out by a professional, people are unlikely to question it. If you do it yourself, they may have lingering doubts as to how you did it. These could lead to family fallouts.
- Less chance of mistakes: Probate errors will cost time and money. Like any new thing, if you have never done it before, you will likely make mistakes.
- It is quicker: Lying under that car, you have to refer to the manual every few minutes to see where each part fits. Someone who has done it before already knows how things work. The same applies to probate.
- It protects you from creditors: If you handle probate yourself, creditors may try to take advantage. If they have to deal with an attorney, they will not be so bold.
- It lets you concentrate on the essential things: When someone you love has recently died, you need time to grieve, arrange funerals and comfort relatives. Dealing with probate yourself will occupy time and energy, which you could spend elsewhere.
If you have to probate a Puyallup estate, an experienced probate attorney can simplify the process.