Committed To Helping You
Achieve Your Goal

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Child support payment options in Washington

Child support payment options in Washington

On Behalf of | Jan 13, 2023 | Family Law |

If you owe child support, having a clear understanding of your obligations as well as your options is pivotal. Aside from looking into the possibility of modifying your child support order, you should also review the different payment methods available.

Even though many parents have child support taken from their paychecks through withholding, this is not possible for everyone. For example, if you make a living as a self-employed individual, you lose your job or income withholding has not yet taken effect, you could have to find another way to make payments.

Paying child support through the state’s portal

According to the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services, parents can make child support payments using the state’s portal, known as Secure Access Washington (SAW). In addition, you can mail a payment to the state, but make sure your payment includes your Social Security number and goes to the correct address. You can also have child support regularly deducted from a checking or savings account.

Using an outside vendor to pay child support

There are a number of outside vendors that work with the state and allow parents to make child support payments online. Although paying support through one of these private firms could make paying child support more convenient, you should keep in mind that they charge service fees and it can take three to five days for the state to process your payments. Therefore, make sure you pay in advance, understand the fees and review their policies.

Knowing your options can help ensure that you can meet your obligations and avoid the consequences of late child support payments.

FindLaw Network

Get An Experienced Lawyer On Your Side

To find out how we can help with your case, contact us online or call us at 253-256-1255 and schedule an initial consultation in our Puyallup, Washington, office.